Thursday, October 8, 2009

less than a month....

As many of you know, its really coming down to the wire now! Ill give you a round-up of my longest run thus far...

Last Saturday, I ran 21 miles. We were supposed to run 23 total, but after 21, I felt pretty confident on race day I can do the other 5 no problem so I stopped there to avoid injury. I am too close to the end of this journey to want to or need to run into any problems. The idea of Saturday's run was to simulate the feel of the crowds of the marathon and to get your body used to running hills and Central Park, since the last 6 miles of the race are through the Park. We ran 8 miles on the GORGEOUS SCENIC BRIDLE PATH and then continued up to the 72nd St Transverse and flowed right into the Half Marathon, Grete's Gallop. Yes, you heard right, 8 miles and then a Half Marathon. At this point, our pace groups are pretty divided and I have been running consistenly with the same few people. (Hopefully marathon day, we can keep eachother close by for company!!!) Running 2 loops of Central Park is HAAAAARD! It is all rolling hills and running up the West Side and down the East Side seems so much harder than taking on the steepest 2 hills Cat's hill and Harlem Hill running the opposite direction. On my 2nd loop of the Half, I lost Anisha. She is my go-to girl to run. We pace eachother pretty well so to lose my right hand girl at the hardest part of the race was tough. Thats alright, Jonathan found me at mile 11. Phew! He pushed me through the end of the race and we finished remarkably well for running 8 previous miles! I ran it in 1:55:50. Thats only a minute slower than the NYC Half I actually "raced" in August.

You know, its not so much about nerves and the doubt of being able to finish the marathon anymore, its about actually doing it. Marathon day is so close but yet still so far away. After Saturdays run, we have officially started our taper to the big day. Now I am focused on keeping in shape, eating right, having fun with the great friends I have made, and hitting my fundraising goal. Now more than ever, I am addicted to reading up on all sorts of running related articles. Whether it comes to food (I MEAN COME ON, DID YOU EXPECT ANYTHING DIFFERENT??), shoes, workout/crosstraining routines, and of course peoples experiences in running.

Check out the marathon website, its so insprational. http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/

If it wasnt for all of you following me, I dont think I would have made it this far! You all have boosted my confidence ten-fold and am excited to finally run my first marathon! I cant wait for November 1st when I cross that finish line and say, "I did it!" I hope to see you all at the finish line or along the way cheering me on! It is the day after Halloween folks, so continue the party please! I expect you all out there with drinks in hand!!! (and one waiting for me at the finish of course) =)

'Till next week...
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment