Monday, October 12, 2009

less than 3 weeks...

Since we have officially started our taper, we cut down our Saturday long run to 15 miles. This past saturday, included the last 10 miles of the marathon course. Being so close to the marathon, this run was to be at a relaxed pace and to understand the feeling of the last 10 miles and the "surprises" that lay ahead of us on the big day. We ran from Central Park, cross-town, across the Queensboro Bridge, turned around and began the last 10 miles of the course. Back over the Queensboro Bridge, down First Avenue through Harlem and up to the Willis Avenue Bridge, over the bridge and into the boogie down Bronx. WE ran down Bruckner Boulevard to the Madison Avenue Bridge, over the bridge and onto Fifth Avenue into Manhattan. Down Fifth avenue, we experienced the Hill of Doom!! the 1-mile steady uphill from 110th street to 90th street. OUCH!! If you dont know that hill is there, it will kill you!!! Luckily, I ran a good stretch with Evan (whose ran the NYC marathon) and gave us tips along the course to get us through the race with ease. He warned us of this wretched hill and said he would avise to conserve some energy because it can beat you up. Good call Evan! That was torture! From 90th street, its a steady flat or downhill course through the park to the finish...

Its incredible to think that even though we ran the last leg of the marathon, Im not really scared of the race. I am actually extremely excited and cant wait for it to finally be here. Seems like yesterday, I was running the half marathon and still was unsure whether I would be able to do the full marathon. Now, I am so happy I committed to the full!!! This has been such a journey; mentally and physically.

Over the past week, I have become in tuned with things that really motivate me. I have become obsessed with the new Asics marathon marketing campaign (thanks Madrigal for sharing it with me!!!!) I find lyrics to songs extremely inspirational and uplifting. And I cant help but talk about anything marathon related whether its our marathon day clothes, what I have been eating (yes, food refernece again), my aches and pains, what I am doing after the marathon, and what my plan of attack is from here on out.

Last piece of business - I am so happy all of you who have contributed to Team for Kids! Its been a wonderful experience learning about and raising funds for running programs for kids who dont have phys ed programs or extra curricular activities in the city. We've had the chance to see these kids hard at work and run with them which makes running with Team for Kids so great!
I am about $250.00 short of my Goal... Please help me get there. The deadline is this Friday October 16th.

ENTRY # 427200

https://www.nyrrc.org/cgi-bin/start.cgi/mar-programs/nyrrf/team/2009/donations.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment