Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

What is the real definition of Labor Day? Ahh Google, gotta love Google. According to my Google search, Labor Day "is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country." (US Dept of Labor) And, believe it or not, the first Labor Day holiday was celebrated in New York City in 1882.

Why did I ask what the definition of the day was? well... because I decided to take some days off and wanted to make sure I was celebrating my days "Labor Free". Well, sorta anyways...


Although I took thursday and friday off from work so I can play, I still had to get some serious mileage under my belt. Thursday I was supposed to do a 4-6 mile run, but that failed to happen because my dear friend Whitney told me we were headed up to the Giants/Pat's preseason game in Foxboro! Wohoo! Thanks Whit!!! It was totally worth skipping my run. Especially those Chili-Cheese Fries we devoured. Hey Whit, dont look at them making it, just think about how good they will be, haha!



Friday... what did I do friday? oooh, right! I got my hair cut, FINALLY! So, did I run, you ask? NOPE! I got a fresh new style, why would I mess up that awesome blowdry? I can never get my hair to look as nice as it does when I get it done, I dont want my sweat to mess it up.Yep, call me a Princess, but I didnt pay all that money to mess it up. So, Instead, I rode my bike. I rode from my house down to the Farmington Canal entrance by my parents, scooped up Mike, Whitney's significant other and rode all the way through Hamden and Cheshire to the end of the trail and back home. It was awesome, nice and cool out and I forgot how much I missed my bike...
After my bike ride, I decided to go back to the city to run on saturday morning. I knew that if I wanted to stay on track with marathon training, I would have to make sure I ran the 16 miles that was outlined for us to do. Anisha was my lifesaver! If it werent for her to email me on friday and ask if I wanted to run with her, I would have moaned and groaned and tried to do it by myself here in good 'ol H-Town. I highly doubt I would have done the 16 if I stayed here. So, after sleeping in my own bed, I got up and met Anisha at 7 am by the 62nd St entrance of Central Park. We did a quick stretch and headed for the road. We decided to follow the outlined workout and complete one loop around the park on the road and then 2 2.7 loops of the Bridle Path (the dirt path). We chit-chatted it up the whole time and kept great pace with one another. After our loop around the park, we headed up the Bridle Path. It sounds like it wouldnt be so bad, but transitioning from hard pavement to dirt and gravel is a difficult adjustment. We felt ourselves getting pretty sluggish not speaking on the hill climbs and then telling eachother how much we love the downhills. We saw many other TFK'ers running with partners through the park as well... kinda funny to see everyone off on their own and not practicing all together. We said our Hi's and gave eachother words of support and kept on our 16 mile journey. By mile 14, Anisha and I were pretty hurting. We knew we only had half a loop left and a nice downhill left to the bottom of the Bridle Path, but our legs were tired and heavy and the aches and pains were starting to set in. When it was all over, we looked at eachother and were so happy we did it. You know, after it was all said and done, it wasnt so bad. We both accomplished our longest runs ever and we didnt stop once, well except to get water of course! That's a great accomplishment. Kudos to us! at 10:00 am, our 16 miler was over, and we had our whole days and weekend ahead of us! Wohoo! BBQ's and Parties were on my mind!
The remainder of the weekend flew by! BBQ saturday night, Sunday a Brunch for Brian's Coast Guard Graduation, Lunch with Nan, BBQ at the Simone Family's, Yardan's beach house/bonfire. Here, there, and everywhere!
Today, It was a great feeling to sleep in and know I didnt have to "Labor" and can just relax! And, for the most part I did that... other than the 5.5 miler I did this morning. After perennial flower shopping with my Pops, I hit the pavement and pounded out my daily work out so I can enjoy my day before getting back to the grind in the morning.

So, Labor Day is a great day after all. Thank you U.S. Dept of Labor for making this day a holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment